National Model United Nations (NMUN) roots go back to the intercollegiate Model League simulation in 1927 at Syracuse University. Subsequent conferences, known as the Model Assembly of the League of Nations, Middle Atlantic Section, were hosted at various Mid-Atlantic college and university campuses. The transition to a Model UN simulation began in 1943 at Hamilton College campus and 1944 at Bryn Mawr College campus where model United Nations (World War II allies) conferences were held instead of a model League of Nations. Annual conferences in our lineage have been held every year since 1927 with the exception of 1945 when U.S. World War II travel restrictions prevented a meeting.
Canada will be held in partnership with Concordia University of Edmonton. The cultural tours and several committee topics will focus on issues related to indigenous people and the environment. This focus recognizes not only the majestic conference setting of Banff National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site, but also the recent Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Final Report. Join with other university students to discuss global issues and celebrate the sesquicentennial.
DATE: 19-25th November, 2017
Important Dates for NMUN•Canada
|1 May 2017||• Conference Registration Opens|
|15 May 2017
(may be earlier)
|• Country Assignments Posted (assigned based on the date both your registration form and registration fee are received)|
|1 August 2017||• Confirm Delegate Numbers (may be reduced up to: 1 October)
• Hotel Reservations Open. Book early! Reservations are first-come, first-served. Once our block of rooms has sold out you will need to find your own accommodations.
• NMUN•Canada Background Guides Available
• Make Visa Arrangements (if needed)
|2 October 2017||• Full Hotel Payment Due, Last Day for Refunds, Last Day to Reduce Number of Rooms
• Delegate Fees and Cultural Tour Payments Due and Last Day for Refunds
• Last Day to Reserve Hotel Rooms (if any remain, do not wait until this date to make your reservations)
• Finalize Travel Arrangements (after you have hotel reservations)
|1 November 2017||• Position Papers Due|
|19-25 November 2017||NMUN•Canada: Banff National Park Conference|
VENUE: Concordia University of Edmonton, Canada
DEADLINE: 1st August, 2017