Organized By: Centre for Regulatory Studies, Governance and Public Policy
Date: 10-21 July, 2017
Venue: The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences 12, LB Block, Sector III, Salt Lake City, Kolkata- 700098
RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT IN INDIA
Right to Information is a recognised legal right of every individual of our nation. For realisation of this right, the legislation was enacted in the year 2005- The Right to Information Act, 2005. The Act has been a viable tool through which the general public has been not only seeking information, records and clarifications from public authorities on various public dealings and transactions but also obligating the authorities to ensure transparency and accountability in public administration and governance. There has been introduction of various rules laying down the procedure of appeal, complain or second appeal with the commission. Legislations like the Right to Information Act, 2005 are also known as social legislations.
ABOUT THE SUMMER COURSE
The summer course will be conducted by eminent academicians, administrators and officials who have dealt with the nuances of the Legislation both at the Central and the State level. During this summer course participants will be actively engaged in the classroom through lectures, case studies and other modes of intelligent teaching on Right to Information and allied laws in the country.
The participants are expected to have gained exceptional understanding on the topic of the course including the following outcomes:
- A sound knowledge of the provisions of the RTI Act, 2005 with practical experience on the subject;
- Good understanding of the roles and responsibilities of organisations / persons concerned with implementing the law and with enforcing the rights under this law;
- Proper appreciation of rights / obligations – as applicable – for effective use of this right;
- Reliable guidance on following the right process / procedure to implement the provisions of this Act and to benefit from this Act;
- Good understanding of remedies available when an implementing organisation fails to comply with this Act;
- Testing the understanding of ‘Information Providers’ and ‘Information Seekers’ using this tool for implementing this Act or exercising their right under it.
This Summer Course is aimed for:
- Public Information Officers (PIOs)
- Assistant Public Information Officers (APIOs)
- Appellate Authorities
- Officials assisting the above designated officers or other public officials
- Representative of Civil Society Organizations (including Media Organizations)
- Students of Law and Social Sciences at graduation and post-graduation level.
The Centre will provide the participants with study material during the course and upon satisfactory completion, participants will be awarded Certificates. The Course will be of minimum 24 hours class lectures/ clinical activities (afternoon classes) with an evaluation component
REGISTRATION AND FEES
There is a fee for participation and the number of participants will be limited to 40 only on “First- Come- First -Serve Basis”. Interested Participants are to fill up “Form-A” for registration along with a Demand Draft of Rs. 3000/- (Three Thousand only) in favor of “THE WBNUJS CRSGPP A/C” payable at “Kolkata”.
The registration fees can also be paid through NEFT. In that case, proof of transfer through NEFT has to be attached with the “Form-A”. Bank Account Details for NEFT are as follows:
- Name of the Account: “THE W.B. NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF JURIDICAL SCIENCES, CRSGPP”
- Account No: 066300101009449
- Bank: Corporation Bank
- Branch: NUJS Campus 5. IFSC Code: CORP0000663.
he filled up “Form-A” along with Demand Draft of Rs. 3000/ Proof of NEFT has to be sent to:
Prof. T.R. Subramanya
Research Fellow & Coordinator
Centre for Regulatory Studies, Governance and Public Policy
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences
12 LB Block, Sector III, Salt Lake City,
Phone No.: 033 25694700 (Extn.: 7210/7211)
- Last Date for Registration (Receipt of Form along with the Payment details): 23 June, 2017
- Dates of Summer Course: 10-21 July, 2017.
For further details, please visit-